To improve patient outcomes and access to healthcare through financial and organizational restructuring.
As a recognized healthcare consulting firm, we hope to have a noticeable impact on the innovation of patient care all over the world.
Paul D. Vitale, MPA, FACHE
President, CEO, and PDV Executive Consultant
Paul D. Vitale is a visionary executive in healthcare with an impressive track record in strategic growth and alliances. He has had extensive experience across the continuum of care in both the non-profit and for-profit sectors. He is currently the President and CEO of PDV Health, a multifaceted consulting firm providing next level of service through experience and innovation.PDV Health delivers expertise in healthcare policy and operations including ambulatory care / hospital & FQHC, homecare and managed care, hospital operations, business development, population health strategy, coaching and training, and mergers and acquisitions.
In his prior role at Brightpoint Health, a multifaceted outpatient primary care network and care management organization serving 60,000 vulnerable New Yorkers, Vitale led the organization to unprecedented growth–increasing revenues from $20 million to over $100 million in 10 years. He propelled the transition of the clinics to FQHC status, secured patient-centered medical home Level 3 designations, and obtained Article 31 and 822 licenses. Additionally, Vitale has overseen several highly successful mergers and affiliations and has rescued numerous failing organizations. To accelerate the growth of start-up Health Centers, he integrated over 10 large private physician practices, adding 30,000 patients and $7 million in revenue in less than 2 years. He is also Chairman of the board of a managed care organization of over 600K members and is extremely involved in operational planning. His total portfolio is comprised of over $1 billion, including the recent merger.
Paul spearheaded a successful effort to align with a well-capitalized healthcare organization to ensure continued growth and to achieve the scale needed in value-based payment. In December 2018 he became the President of a merged entity with a combined $350,000 million in revenues and serving 200,000 patients throughout New York City, Long Island, and upstate New York.
Individually and collectively, PDV’s consultant team has a strong reputation for delivery and lasting impact across the healthcare spectrum. Our team combines the clinical, management, analytical, and executive leadership experience needed to collaborate and innovate, and bring about real transformation and sustainability to your organization.
Paul D. Vitale, MPA, FACHE
Visionary driver of organizational innovation and performance dedicated to providing value-based care and improving patient outcomes for underserved Medicare/Medicaid and Medicare Advantage eligible populations. Proven leadership of hospital/acute care, post-acute, elder/home health and hospice, ambulatory, primary, behavioral health, and substance abuse care organizations. Direct experience as Executive Director of full at-risk Managed Care Program and Chair/Sponsor for Medicaid HIV Managed Care Program. Extensive government relationships with New York and Massachusetts state agencies as well as with senior industry leaders nationally.
Accomplished in strategic planning, market-specific growth and service expansion, new business development, mergers and conversions, and turnaround of underperforming and declining healthcare organizations. Internationally sought-after speaker on the opioid epidemic and treatment methodologies, drug treatment and rehabilitation, AIDS care, population health, and healthcare delivery innovations. Recognized for a career-long commitment to care for underserved populations and dedication to ethical and community-centered leadership.
Selected Career Accomplishments
- Led Board/Sponsor strategy of Medicaid Special Needs Plan from 2010-19 increasing the market share of the SNP/MCO from under 10% to over 50% and revenues from $150m to over $450m.
- Managed significant expansion and ongoing cost management of Medicare/Medicaid and Medicare Advantage for dually eligible populations for Brightpoint and Cambridge Health Alliance, initiating the MA Senior Care Option, and membership on the MA Senior Care Advisory.
- Initiated a state-wide population health program incorporating managed value-based contracts and the development of the key performance indicators (KPI) dashboard.
- Stewarded the merger to create the new Brightpoint Healthcare – joining a well-capitalized partner to ensure continued growth and achieve scale for value-based payment model.
- Achieved 376% increase in revenue a 900+% increase in primary care visits from 2011 to 2018 (Brightpoint).
- Entrepreneurial launch of for-profit home care franchise resulting in $15 million revenue growth in five years.
PDV Consulting, New York, NY
2020 – Present
PDV Health Consulting brings the next level of service through experience and innovation. With a wealth of knowledge in mergers, financially pressured organizations, and expansion of services, Paul’s approach embraces the constant change in 21st Century Healthcare.
President and Chief Executive Officer
Innovative healthcare policy and operational consulting expertise specializing in ambulatory care / hospital & FQHC, homecare and managed care, hospital operations, business development, population health strategy, coaching and training, and mergers and acquisitions.
Present Selected Engagements
- One Brooklyn Health – Selected to lead the transformation of ambulatory care services and hospital operations for three distressed hospitals: Brookdale Hospital Medical Center, Interfaith Medical Center, and Kingsbrook Jewish Medical Center. Charged with building primary care capabilities to meet the needs of diverse patient populations and managing internal projects to improve patient care and service delivery.
- Executive Coaching – Provide professional development counsel to newly appointed CEO of Rambam Family Health Center, a FQHC located in Brooklyn, NY. Advised the new CEO on developing new care contracts, operations, fiscal management, patient outreach, senior leadership development, and board relations.
Brightpoint Healthcare, A Member of Hudson River Healthcare
New York, NY
2009 – September 2019
Multifaceted outpatient primary care network and care management organization with 2,000 employees and 43 sites, generating $400+ million in revenues while serving over 200,000 patients throughout the Hudson Valley, Long Island, and New York City.
President (2018 – September 2019)
Successfully led creation of new Brightpoint Healthcare through a merger with well-capitalized regional provider to enable Brightpoint to achieve scale of value-based payment model. Prior to assuming role of president for merged organization, negotiated terms, developed merger documents, employee contracts, and governance requirements.
- Reimagined mission, offerings, infrastructure, patient outreach, delivery model, and rebranding identity in collaboration with Board of Directors.
- Developed integrated communications plan for the public and employees and regulatory and compliance strategy.
- Initiated ‘day one’ planning and established numerous subcommittees to ensure continuity of care, quality, mitigation of risks, and acclimation of patients and families to new organization and new services.
President and Chief Executive Officer (2009 – 2018)
Architect of 3-year strategic plan to reengineer and rebrand Brightpoint Healthcare (formerly HELP PSI) positioning organization for rapid and significant expansion of services and patient outreach. Established new capabilities and supporting departments including Human Resources, Culture, Compliance, Quality, External Affairs, Marketing, and Managed Care. Spearheaded organization-wide cultural renaissance based upon newly articulated core values. Established largest care management program in New York State through aggressive outreach and enrollment. Launched new business development function to bridge services for underserved populations in all 5 boroughs. Secured FQHC and patient-centered medical home Level 3 designations and obtained Article 31 and 822 licenses.
- Secured over $36 million Federal/State/private grants, increasing healthcare access to underserved populations.
- Developed fundraising strategy encompassing 5 events and raising over $2 million.
- Expanded organization from 4 to 24 administrative/clinical sites, adding several new lines of business.
- Integrated 8 large private physician practices into the Health Centers adding 30,000 patients.
- Rescued failing programs (a substance abuse facility, Article 31 programs, and community health centers).
- Merged or affiliated with several non-profit organizations, Community Health Action of Staten Island, Fountain House, Staten Island University Hospital, BOOM Health.
- Led Business Development team to cultivate 1,000+ referral sources, generating 230,000 patient visits annually.
- Implemented electronic health records, advanced IT infrastructure, Population Health and Clinical Informatics.
- Created an executive search firm to supporting the growth of Brightpoint – saving significant search fees and generating revenue by providing placement services to outside clients.
Visiting Nurse Service of New York, New York, NY
Billion-dollar non-profit home care company and managed care plan serving over 31,000 patients in metropolitan area.
Executive Director Business Development (2006 – 2009)
Capitalized on emerging industry trends by producing highly innovative cardiac, rehabilitative, and orthopedic referral programs and leveraged market research to identify patient, community, and intermediary needs. Led and motivated 300+ account management and intake staff across 6 geographic regions to maximize effectiveness. Supervised intake processing of nearly 150,000 admissions annually. Managed relationships with key referral sources, including hospitals, nursing homes, physician practices, and community-based organizations. Presented Miller Heiman training.
- Grew and maintained annual revenue stream of $600 million from 52 hospital and subacute care contracts, 250 nursing homes, and 1,000+ physician practices.
- Generated $8 million in additional annual revenue by obtaining 13 major hospital contracts throughout New York.
- Boosted revenue 200+% for key hospital accounts, such as Hospital for Special Surgery, Roosevelt Hospital, St. Mary’s Hospital, Queen’s Hospital and Methodist Hospital, by customizing program offerings to specific hospital/account needs.
- Exceeded annual business development targets 6+% growth across all lines of business for 3 consecutive years.
- Secured 500+ MD contracts partnering with VNSNY CHOICE Medicare to execute high-impact growth strategies.
- Significantly increased Medicare volume for Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, Beth Israel Medical Center, Columbia Presbyterian Hospital, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Mt. Sinai Hospital, and NYU Langone.
Cambridge Health Alliance (CHA)
1997 – 2006
Harvard Medical School teaching hospital affiliate that provides acute care, primary care, specialty care, and mental health/substance use services.
Executive Director and Chief Hospital Administrator, Whidden Memorial Hospital (2001 – 2006)
- Initiated merger of Whidden Hospital into CHA system – adding 150 beds, 20 outpatient clinics and community programs while leveraging cross-hospital efficiencies. Maximized revenues/admissions by converting physician practices and establishing partnerships with nursing homes. Effectively collaborated with healthcare union organizations on negotiations and other sensitive issues. Transitioned PACE Plan to focus on dual-eligible seniors.
- Increased hospital occupancy from 50% to 95% and grew ED ambulance volume 10%.
- Improved Medicare payer mix from 15% to 70% by building new insurance partnerships/relationships.
- Served as Executive Director of CHA PACE Plan – a $15 million all-inclusive payer-provider elder care plan.
- Established Elder Service Plan effectively reducing hospital-based care while improving overall patient outcomes.
Senior Director, Multi-Hospital Healthcare System (1997 – 2001)
Oversaw healthcare system operations of 22 outpatient clinics and 3 hospitals with a combined acute care capacity of 400 beds. Increased financial performance and operational efficiency for business development, rehabilitation services, house calls, PACE program, community health center, and Geriatrics Department nursing home programs.
Directed key operations, including laboratory, pathology, cardiopulmonary, pharmacy, radiology, respiratory, rehabilitation, and geriatrics.
- Implemented nurse practitioner/MD model, which was adopted as a statewide model for excellence.
- Grew patient caseload 20% and senior census 300%+ by building strategic relationships with 35 nursing homes.
Staff Builders National Home Health and Hospital Consulting
New Hyde Park, NY
1992 – 1997
Home Care Company with $700 million in revenue, NASDAQ listing, and franchises located throughout the country.
National Vice President of Business Development and Marketing
Started for-profit home care franchise and developed national marketing campaign and business development strategy for specialty products such as infusion therapy, hospice and behavioral health.
- Increased Boston area referrals from $9 million to $20 million and gross profit margins from 22% to 35% – growing overall revenue by $15 million in five years.
- Obtained contract for National Joint Venture Hospital program, generating over $1 million in annual revenue.
- Conducted organization wide analyses of key operational functions, to include business development, finance, billing, and regulatory compliance resulting in a 200% organization-wide revenue increase.
Early Career Experience
Chief Operations Officer (COO), The WW Group, Weight Watchers International
Hospital Administrator. St. Luke’s Roosevelt Hospital and Long Island Jewish Hospital Center
Amida Care, Chairman and Sponsor (Medicaid health plan with revenues of $450m and plan valued at $100m)
Community Care Management Partner, Vice Chairman (Care management provider in New York City)
Treatment Communities of America, Board Member. (National advocacy for substance abuse treatment)
Community Healthcare Association of New York State, Board Member (State advocacy organization)
Outreach, Board Member (Substance abuse treatment organization in New York)
World Federation of Therapeutic Communities–United Nations Economic & Social Council
Awards and Recognition
American College of Healthcare Executives, Diversity Award
Amida (AIDS Managed Care), Award for Patient Compliance and Viral Load Compression
Big Brother & Big Sisters, Fantastic Father Award
“Effect of 24-hour Resource Centers for Minor Drug Misdemeanors”
National Association of Social Workers
“Food Deserts and Underprivileged Communities”
World Federation of Treatment Communities
“Experience of AIDS Admissions Compared to Medication Assisted Treatment on Medication Compliance”
“Benefits of Different Associations of Drug Users”
National Association of Community Healthcare Centers
“The Conversion of Private Medical Practices into FQHC”
National AIDS Conference
“Effect on AIDS Treatments in Adult Day Care Settings”
American College of Healthcare Executives, Fellow
New York Academy of Medicine, Fellow
Baruch College, New York, NY; Long Island University, C.W. Post Campus, Brookville, NY; Madonna University, Livonia, Michigan; Mercy College, Detroit, MI
Visiting Assistant Professor
Graduate Courses in Healthcare Management, Ethics in Healthcare, and Organizational Culture (Based upon the book “Tuesdays with Morrie”)
Education & Certification
Long Island University, School of Health & Public Service
Master of Health and Public Administration
State University of New York & Oneonta
Bachelor of Science in Social Welfare & Psychology
Miller Heiman Group
Certified Sales Trainer
Susan S. Flics, RN, MA, MBA
Susan earned a Bachelor’s degree in Nursing from Hunter College, a Master’s degree in the delivery of nursing service from New York University, and an MBA from Baruch College/Mount Sinai School of Medicine.
Joan M. Marren, RN, MA, MEd
Joan Marren is a national consultant in health care strategy and practice, primarily focused on home and community-based services. She is a founding member of Quadrant Consulting, LLC.
In March 2013 Ms. Marren retired from the Visiting Nurse Service of New York after 36 years of distinguished service. From 1995 until her retirement she served as the Chief Operating Officer of the Visiting Nurse Service of New York (VNSNY) and President of VNSNY Home Care. In her COO role, Ms. Marren oversaw strategy implementation, care delivery, administration, finance and quality for all service delivery operations of VNSNY, its affiliates and subsidiaries, which generated $1.2B in operating revenue.
Ms. Marren is a highly regarded and respected leader in home and community-based health care. She has numerous articles published in peer-reviewed journals focusing on various aspects of home care administration and quality. She has been a member of many state, federal and professional advisory committees. Ms. Marren has served on the boards of the Home Care Association of New York State and the Visiting Nurse Associations of America. She currently serves on the Board of Directors of Guthrie Health, a multi-hospital regional health system in Sayre, PA., serving north central Pennsylvania and the southern tier of New York State. Ms. Marren is also current President and member of the Board of Directors of Nurses Educational Funds, Inc, a non-profit organization dedicated to providing scholarship assistance to nurses pursuing Masters and Doctoral study in nursing.
Ms. Marren received her diploma from the Bellevue School of Nursing, her Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing, summa cum laude, from Hunter College of the City University of New York, and her Master of Arts and Master of Education degrees from Columbia University, Teachers College.
Ms. Marren was the recipient of the 1994 Ruth F. Wilson Award, the highest honor conferred by the Home Care Association of New York State. She is a 2004-2007 Robert Wood Johnson Executive Nurse Fellow.
Dr. Frank Kwakye-Berko
Dr. Kwakye-Berko has over 20 years of clinical experience in the practice of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Gynecologic Surgery. He has provided clinical care in the United States, Central America, West Africa and East Africa. He has served as a department Chair of Ob/Gyn, and has been a founding partner of two (2) highly successively private practices with combined patient census of over 30,000.
Dr. Kwakye-Berko has served in an executive role in health care management as the Chief Clinical officer (CCO) of Brightpoint Health and the NYC division of Hudson River Health Care, 2 large federally qualified health Centers.
Dr. Kwakye-Berko’s current areas of interest include direct clinical care, scientific peer review, international health care delivery, practice start-up and management, and executive level physician engagement and mentoring.
Dr. Alan Abrams
Dr. Alan Abrams is a geriatrician with 4 decades of experience in developing cost-savings health care delivery models for older and frailer adults.
He has been a Medical Director and Chief Medical Officer of the Beth Israel Deaconess ACO, founding Medical Director of UnitedHealth’s Special Needs Plan for People Living in Nursing Homes and their dual eligible Senior Care Options program. In addition, he was the Cambridge Health Alliance Medical Director of the Center of Excellence for Senior Health which included a start-up PACE program as well as both national and state award winning house call medicine programs. In all of these endeavors, where geriatric care, health care systems, and business intersect, Dr. Abrams has been a Physician Executive who has succeeded in improving outcomes and reducing costs. He is currently the Chief Medical Office of Perfect Health, a home-based primary care practice caring for seniors in their homes and residences of choice
Sam Heller has almost 30 years of experience as a Health Care Chief Financial Officer. Twenty-five of those years were with the Visiting Nurse Service of NY, where he helped grow the organization from $400M in revenues to a $2B Home Care and Managed Care Organization.
Sam oversaw VNSNY’s acquisitions, guided cost reduction and revenue enhancement efforts leading to many years of profitability, negotiated major bank loans and transformed the Finance department to electronic platforms across all operational areas. Prior to VNSNY, Sam was Assistant VP of Finance with the NYC Health & Hospital’s organization and also worked as a consultant. His most recent position was with the 1199 SEIU Funds where he significantly improved the Finance Department’s analytical and operational roles. He is a strategic thinker who can communicate complex financial issues to all levels of staff and to Boards. Sam most recently served on the Board of a major New Jersey nursing home, has taught a Masters level Health Care Finance course and has spoken at various conferences. He earned an MBA in Health Care Administration from Baruch College/Mount Sinai.
An established leader, executive and consultant for 25 plus years in the healthcare field, Andy possesses the clinical, financial and business acumen to succeed in today’s environment. He has over managed over 20 HOPD’s, 80 CHHA’s, over 200 physicians, and the department of surgery at a major medical center. Additionally, he has over 15 years’ experience in physician practice management, hospital operations, home care and advanced wound care services. He understands that healthcare is not a cookie cutter approach … each community has different challenges and demographics, and the healthcare delivery system has to adapt to that population. Additionally, he possesses knowledge of the government’s latest initiatives involving VBP, MIPS, Data Analytics and Population Health.
His previous experience working as a strategic business consultant gave him the ability to utilize his skillset to:
- Work with physicians on Population Health initiatives whereby through data analytics of clinical and billing data were able to identify high risk patients and assuring proper follow-up occurred to reduce Hospital admissions and readmissions.
- Develop and manage new business service lines (e.g. Bariatric Program, Advanced Wound Care, and Infusion Therapy)
- Improve financial performance of physicians and hospital I/P and O/P departments by process improvement and eliminating waste.
- Oversee operations and annual budgets of these inpatient and outpatient programs in over 30 states
- Training of physicians and staff on best practices that increased the bottom line as well as manage risk.
- Interaction with C-Suite and senior level personnel on contract negotiations, financial forecasts, and monthly operation performance.
- Business development initiatives to increase reputation of both physicians and facility based on operating results and needs of the community.
Dr. Francine Cournos
Francine Cournos, M.D. graduated New York University School of Medicine in 1971 and then completed five years of postgraduate training, two in Internal Medicine and three in Psychiatry. Her career has included the following roles:
- Serving as Professor of Clinical Psychiatry at Columbia University where she has taught students of multiple disciplines and conducted research since 1976.
- Directing the Washington Heights Community Service at New York State Psychiatric Institute, a program providing comprehensive care to people with serious mental illness residing in Northern Manhattan, from 1978 to 2010.
- Serving as Interim Director of New York State Psychiatric Institute from 2003 to 2004, and then as Deputy Director and Vice-Chair from 2004-2006.
- Serving as Chair of the New York State Board of Medicine from 1987 to 1989.
- Conducting site visits to international medical schools from 1989 to the present to certify that they meet US educational standards.
- Publishing 160 academic articles and book chapters in her field.
- Publishing a memoir, City of One, that describes overcoming childhood adversity.
- Engaging in research, training projects and guidelines focused on caring for people with HIV infection in sub-Saharan Africa since 2002.
- Engaging in the private practice of psychiatry since 1976
Lisa A. DeRoché
Lisa has been leading human resources projects and teams for the past 22 years. Prior to working in child welfare, she spent 7 years providing human resources leadership to those in integrated healthcare and social services settings and 15 years in financial services in New York.
Lisa’s experience includes leading HR teams to implement performance management tools, management development programs, and culture programs including diversity and inclusion initiatives to drive the company’s organizational effectiveness goals. She is consistently called upon to lead, facilitate, promote, champion and support organizational change in addition to acting as project lead for talent management related business initiatives such as policy and procedure overhauls, learning and development programs and Human Resources strategic initiatives. Lisa has created fellowship and mentoring programs in order to develop young professionals in the world of healthcare and finance management and she has also led management of Green Belt projects using the DMAIC model approach to improve human resources processes.
She has created and led committees that support the spiritual, financial and emotional health of employees. She has chaired Employee Resource Groups and participated on Diversity & Inclusion Advisory Councils. She is a current a member of the Berkeley College of New Jersey’s MBA Advisory Committee and holds the role as Vice Chair of Girls Inc. Long Island.
Lisa has a Bachelor of Arts in Sociology from SUNY Old Westbury, an MBA from Dowling College and is a PhD candidate for Capella University studying Business Management with a Human Resources specialization.
Throughout her school career, Afua gained a fierce interest in project management and knew that it was a career avenue that she would love to explore in-depth. This is precisely why Afua is so grateful for the wealth of knowledge and experience she is obtaining at PDV Health Consulting. Currently, she is collaborating on several projects with Paul Vitale that will transform health outcomes for the populations of central and northeastern Brooklyn, New York. Through directly working with the project management information system used for all the projects, not only does Afua support the contractual and regulatory compliance areas, but she also ensures that their partners remain strong pillars of health care in the communities they serve.
Master of Science in Management Information Systems, University at Buffalo
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with concentrations in Management Information Systems and Supply Chains and Operations Management, University at Buffalo